Travel and Accommodations – CLS 2022
We are very pleased to announce that this year’s conference will be held at the brand new David Rubenstein Forum on the campus of the University of Chicago, eight miles south of downtown in the Hyde Park neighborhood.
All conference activities will be held in the Rubenstein Forum. Additionally, a light breakfast and catered lunch will be provided, along with refreshments during breaks.
The Forum’s iconic design includes a two-story podium and ten-story tower divided into “neighborhoods,” each with a distinctive identity. Diverse environments facilitate planned or spontaneous conversation, providing open spaces that encourage groups to socialize and secluded spots for more intimate discussions.
- Retreat-like setting
- User-friendly, state-of-the-art audiovisual
- Modern furnishings
- Refined food and beverage with continuous refreshment breaks
- Museum-quality art and acoustics
- Panoramic views of Chicago
- Bar and restaurant on first floor
There are several hotels in Hyde Park, some withing walking distance of the Rubenstein Forum.
- The Study – www.thestudyatuniversityofchicago.com
- 1227 E. 60th Street, 773-643-1600
- Closest hotel, adjacent to the Rubenstein Forum and campus, but only nearby restaurants are in the hotel or in the Forum.
- Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center – Hotel website
- 5225 South Harper Avenue, 773-752-5300
- 1.4 mile walk from Rubenstein through Hyde Park and campus. On 53rd Street, close to many restaurants and bars, also close to Metra train to downtown.
- Sophy Hyde Park – www.sophyhotel.com
- 1411 East 53rd Street, 773-289-1003
- 1.2 mile walk from Rubenstein through Hyde Park and campus. On 53rd Street, close to many restaurants and bars, also close to Metra train to downtown.
There are many Airbnbs in Hyde Park. You’ll want to stay south of 53rd Street, north of 61st Street, and east of Ellis Avenue.
If you prefer to stay in downtown Chicago, you will need to take a taxi, rideshare or train to Hyde Park – the University of Chicago campus is about 7 miles south of downton.
Chicago boasts two airports. Midway is closer to the University of Chicago (8 miles from campus), but is mostly a hub for Southwest Airlines while O’Hare, the famously-busy international airport, is 23 miles from campus.
You can use cabs or rideshares to travel between either airport and the University of Chicago campus. Travel times from Midway Airport can range from 20-45 minutes, depending on traffic; travel from O’Hare can range from 45-90 minutes.
Should you decide to stay downtown, there are a couple of public transit options to make your way south to Hyde Park. One is the Metra Electric Line; the closest station is 59th street. The CTA #2 Hyde Park Express (AM and PM rush only) and #6 Jackson Park Express will also bring you from downtown to the UChicago campus.
Please note that the easiest, most direct way to get between Hyde Park and downtown is via taxi or rideshare service.
On the University of Chicago campus, the closest free street parking to the Rubenstein Forum is located along 59th and 60th Streets, and along Midway Plaisance. There are paid garages on campus (see the campus map).
View this interactive map that highlights the venue (in maroon), hotels (in blue), and neighborhood attractions (in green) in Hyde Park and the University of Chicago campus.