Information for Students

The Language Center strives to help UChicago students navigate the university’s language offerings, requirements, and tests, in order to reach the full potential that language learning can offer their academic and professional careers.If you cannot find the information you’re looking for below, visit us on the second floor of Cobb Hall or contact us at

Languages Offered at UChicago

Click here to see the full list of languages offered at the University of Chicago in the current academic year.

Please note that not all languages are offered each quarter and that language offerings are subject to change. Visit the Registrar’s class search page for the most up-to-date information.


Incoming College students can take online placement exams during the summer before they enter the College in many of the languages offered at the university.

If you entered the College in Autumn 2018, those language placement exams are still available to you on Canvas. If you entered the College before Autumn 2018 or are a graduate student, contact the placement coordinator of that language or the Office of Language Assessment at

For languages that do not offer online placement tests, contact the instructor or coordinator of that language.

UChicago Language Requirements

All College students must demonstrate at least beginning-level competency in a language other than English. Visit the College’s website to learn more this requirement. Graduate students should check the requirements of their program.

Campus-Wide Language Tests

The Office of Language Assessment administers each of the university’s campus-wide language tests. Click the links below to learn more about each test from the OLA’s website.

Study Abroad

There are numerous opportunities for UChicago students to receive funding to continue their language learning abroad:

You can learn more at the Study Abroad office’s homepage or at their page for Summer International Travel Grants.

National Scholarships and Fellowships

  • Boren Awards, for College and graduate students
  • Critical Language Scholarship, for College and graduate students
  • Gilman Scholarship, for College students

You can obtain application support from the College Center for Research and Fellowships (College students) and UChicagoGRAD (graduate students).