Information for Students
Campus-wide language tests
Academic Reading Comprehension Assessment (ARCA, graduate reading exam)
Academic English Proficiency Assessment (AEPA)
College Language Competency Assessment
Foreign Language Proficiency Assessment and Certification
Languages Offered at UChicago
Click here to see the full list of languages offered at the University of Chicago in the current academic year.
Please note that not all languages are offered each quarter and that language offerings are subject to change. Visit the Registrar’s class search page for the most up-to-date information.
Incoming College students can take online placement exams during the summer before they enter the College in many of the languages offered at the university.
If you entered the College in Autumn 2018, those language placement exams are still available to you on Canvas. If you entered the College before Autumn 2018 or are a graduate student, contact the placement coordinator of that language or the Office of Language Assessment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For languages that do not offer online placement tests, contact the instructor or coordinator of that language.
UChicago Language Requirements
All College students must demonstrate at least beginning-level competency in a language other than English. Visit the College’s website to learn more this requirement. Graduate students should check the requirements of their program.
Campus-Wide Language Tests
The Office of Language Assessment administers each of the university’s campus-wide language tests. Click the links below to learn more about each test from the OLA’s website.
- Academic Reading Comprehension Assessment (ARCA, graduate reading exam)
- Academic English Proficiency Assessment (AEPA)
- College Language Competency Assessment
- Foreign Language Proficiency Assessments and Certifications (Advanced and Practical proficiency)
There are numerous opportunities for UChicago students to receive funding to continue their language learning abroad:
- Foreign Language Acquisition Grants (FLAG), for College students
- Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS), for graduate students
National Scholarships and Fellowships
- Boren Awards, for College and graduate students
- Critical Language Scholarship, for College and graduate students
- Gilman Scholarship, for College students